Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Baking Season

I acknowledge my last few posts have been very hard. some would say Harsh. Blogger William Murphy suggested I should be the "Justice Ombudsman" based on some of my remarks and perhaps one is desperately needed in this time of decreased civil rights and greater police authority... however... let's go to the lighter side of things.

I've been into my Christmas baking for a few days now, and yes, this is a man talking who's new to the whole baking thing... I've only dabbled in it each Christmas time sticking to making dark rum fruitcakes.

So this year, I've decided to get a little more adventurous. I've made my dark rum fruit cakes from my late maternal grandmother's recipes (actually, I think that one goes back two more generations) and as well have gotten hold of her cherry cake recipe from mom as well and made a couple of those. They didn't quite turn out like mom's, but they are pretty good. No complaints from the kids! Sugar cookies (easy but yet new for me) turned out perfectly as did tollhouse (you know, the American version of chocolate chip cookies... ones that again, mom used to make) also turned out well, although a little harder than mom's. But the kids aren't complaining. Heck, they're almost through them all which will mean another batch is soon in the offing.

Friends have been making other suggestions. Care to share any recipes or suggestions?

One thing about being a single father with 3 children, sometimes you have to be both mom and dad, and the mom part is really hard for a lot of us men. Ladies, you have my respect!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home